Thursday, March 24, 2011

what i do when i'm not running

Tuesday and Wednesday of this week I had planned on getting to the gym to get some miles in...but sometimes Life gets the better of me.  Running does take up a large part of my life, but there are other things that are sometimes more important...

On Tuesday I scheduled a small group with my high school girls.  Since moving to a Sunday morning small group time we have seriously missed out on our hour long discussions about God, the Bible and life in general (um, boys!).  So, it was decided that every other Tuesday we will meet and talk about issues that are coming up in their lives.  Stress, relationships, how to be faithful, how to be honest, how to be a Christian, peer pressure...the list goes on.  What I love about this is that THEY came up with the idea.  It wasn't me forcing them to get together outside of church to discuss these topics...it was them wanting to.  (My heart just melted a little writing that...did yours melt reading it?!)  I have been with these same girls for about 6 years now and they never fail to surprise me with how mature they are and how much they want to grow in their faith.  I am truly blessed to have them in my life.

On Wednesday I had dinner scheduled with a friend and fellow youth worker.  Before dinner I ended up staying late at work discussing funny videos to show and other various brainstorming.  I work with such a fun, diverse group of people and we all have different ideas that when they come together we get this ridiculously awesome collection of fun activities and ideas for the kids.  I just love it!  It's so fun to be a part of a ministry, working with people I enjoy, to impact kids for God's glory.  Does any job beat that?!  Not to my knowledge.  On to dinner...Kati and I met up at a favorite BBQ place in Waltham.  It did my spirits good to sit and talk ministry and life with her.  We don't meet up very often but when we do it's always a good conversation and a good meal.  :)

And that's what I do on nights when I don't go to the gym or go for a run.  Spending time with people.  I'd say it's a fair trade since I love to run and I love to spend time with others.

I'm back out running tonight, though.  If the weather is not good, I'll hit the gym.  If it's nice enough out (read: no snow/freezing rain), I'll hit the pavement.  Then it's more quality time with people.  This time it's date night with the bf.  :)

No comments: