Monday, September 24, 2012

18

On Saturday, I ran farther than I have since April 16th.  While that is only five months ago, it feels like much longer ago.  I love to run long distances...but I remembered just how far "long" runs are when training for a marathon.

Thankfully, when I woke up on Saturday morning it was overcast and cool.  I made my usual pre-run breakfast of a bagel (half with peanut butter, half with butter) and coffee.  I passed some time by watching episodes of How I Met Your Mother on Netflix - I was opposed to this show at one time but since starting it from the very beginning, it's become a favorite.  But anywho!

It was even a little bit misty outside (and 94% humidity!!) so I paired my capri pants with a long sleeved tshirt.  I ran the first seven miles by myself at a 9:30 pace.  Which I knew was too fast...I kept telling myself to slow down.  But I didn't.  I had a mini battle in my mind:  I was running the lake route so I thought I'm just running the lake route.  I'm also running the Melrose route so I still have another 11mi to go after this!!  The I'm just running the lake route mindset won the mini battle...

When I got back to my house after the first seven miles, my friend was waiting there for me.  She is training for a half marathon on Oct 6th.  Applefest in Hollis, NH.  The first of my half marathons that weekend.

We set out on a couple of smaller hills and headed down to Melrose Center.  It's about 5mi down, and 5mi back up to Wakefield.  So we went all the way through Wakefield Center to get that last mile in.  Whew.  I remember now how far a long run is - it's 18mi.

I felt good the first 7 when I was on my own.  I felt okay for the first 5 that we were together.  I felt not too great for the next 4 and the last 2 were pretty bad.  But thankfully I had Joci there with me to keep some pep in my step.  I took 3 Gu's - at 6, 12, and 15.  They kept me going but I know some Gatorade would have helped too.

Overall, it was a good run.  I'm glad to have gotten the miles in.  It was tough, but I knew it was going to be.  That's why we do training runs - to know what the marathon is going to feel like.  I was so glad to have a friend (who knows what I'm like at the end of a long run and won't judge me - it's not pretty) with me for the second half of the run.  Training gets lonely sometimes and 18mi is really far to run all alone.

No comments: