Tuesday, September 4, 2012

race recap #5

To sum up the 2012 Around Cape Ann 25K in just a few words, I'd have to use:  pretty awesome!  I hope you'll read why below.

Monday morning was pretty much the most perfect race/run weather I could have asked for.  Low 60's, overcast, and just a bit foggy on the North Shore.  This was the first time since the beginning of April that I have had goosebumps while waiting at the starting line...and it was most welcome!  The two races (7K and 25K) went off at the same time and I had to hope that everyone heard the announcement that they were starting in different locations.  Can you imagine training for 15mi and ending up accidentally running a 4mi race?  Or the other way around?  Awful, either way.

The first few miles went by pretty quickly and as I got to mile 5, I was kind of surprised.  Last time I ran this race the hills felt HUGE.  This time, they seemed big but not insurmountable.  I was really dreading the hills but I must have made them worse in my head than they actually were!  Which was a very pleasant realization.  I will admit, the long incline coming out of the center of Rockport took quite a bit out of me.

But as we made our way along the ocean, I was very excited to see the Welcome to Gloucester sign.  After that is was another mile or so till we reached Good Harbor Beach, and another few miles till we reached the center of Gloucester.  This is where I started to fall apart a bit.  Most of the course is very beautiful...right along the ocean and really cool old houses.  Then you get to downtown Gloucester.  The last three or so miles left a little to be desired in the view category.

After I hit mile 13.1, I did walk short distances off and on.  My knees had started to bother me a bit and my right hip still isn't at 100%.  But with resolve, I gutted through the last mile and a half.  Speaking of the last half mile: it's up a (short) steep hill that turns sharply left and up a bit more.  The final crazy hill (there are a total of 16!!) before getting to the finish line.

I was so excited to see a couple of friends who had come out to cheer me on for the dash to the finish, but also to see my time:  2:38:45.  That's right...a 12min PR on this crazy course.  Which of course makes me want to run it again next year to try and beat this new PR - and get a great training run in for NYC.

But back to the race at hand.  I would recommend this race for the following reasons:
1. it's cheap - only $35 for a long race is not bad.
2. it's challenging - you want to run some hills, run this race.
3. it's small, but not overly so.
4. short lines at the portopotties - it's the little things...
5. course support - lots of people out on their porches cheering.
6. the volunteers are awesome!

I would not recommend this race for the following reasons:
1. the Tshirt - if this is important to you, this one isn't great.  That's it.  That's the only reason not to recommend this race.

And, that's a wrap on HM #5 (plus two more miles for good measure)!!  Next up:  Applefest in Hollis, NH on Oct 6th.  Can't wait!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great race, I'll be at applefest to cheer you on.

-John