Thursday, November 15, 2012

a couple answers, a few tips

Disclaimer: I've been running for a while...but this by no means makes me an expert at it.  I have things that work for me, and if they happen to work for others that's great, if not well then, you'll just have to find what works for you!

I've had a few people recently ask me how I got started running and why I continued and what tips would I have for a newbie.  This might be a good place to share some of those answers.

How I got started:
I ran off and on before moving to Boston.  But it wasn't a lifestyle, it was a chore.  Once I relocated here and spent a couple years in a row cheering at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, I knew that I wanted to be a runner.  But, HOW?!  That was the challenging part.  The answer was this:  slowly.  I started with just one mile, slowly worked my way up to two (it took a few weeks...), then I got to three.  I ran three miles and was completely satisfied.  Until...

Why I continued:
A friend convinced me to run a race.  It was a 5K, but she wanted me to legit run it and not take it easy like I normally would if I was left alone.  After that 5K, I realized how much fun racing - against myself, mind you - could be.  When this same friend decided to run a half marathon a year or so later, I just had to join in the fun as well!  And then when she decided to run a marathon a year later...well, you get the idea.  And here we are, 7 years later, still running and still racing.  It's no longer the chore that it used to be.  It's a great way for me to clear my mind, enjoy some fresh air, and once in a while, spend time with a friend.

5 tips for new runners:
  • Get good shoes.  My absolute number one suggestion is to have a good foundation when you begin.  If you run in the sneakers you've had since high school, you might save some money but you won't be doing your body any favors and you probably won't keep running due to all the aches and pains those old shoes helped create.  There aren't a lot of costs related to running, but this is an important one.
  • Start slow.  Running is all about layers.  Build a good base and you've got a great start to get faster and run farther.  Don't expect to be able to run 3mi the first time you go out.  Once you've got a good base (running 3-4mi, 3 to 4 times a week for about 2mos), you're ready to build on your distance.  There are tons of great training plans out there (Couch25K, Couch210K, Runners World, Hal Higdon), find one that works for you and stick to it.  Trying to cut corners or going too far too soon will only lead to injury.
  • Find your own pace.  You are not going to win the race.  Unless you are Shalane Flanagan or Ryan Hall.  For me, it's all about racing myself.  I want to beat times that I've set at certain distances or particular races.  Sure, I like to keep people in my view (and try to beat them at the end) if I feel like they are running at a similar pace as me, but if I can see that they are an 8mi/miler and I'm a 9:30min/miler then there's no way I'll beat them.  And that is okay. 
  • Set a goal.  I'm a big believer of working toward something.  If I didn't have a race to look forward to, I might find every excuse in the book to get out of a workout.  But knowing that I'm going to run whatever race in 4mos puts a little fire under my bum to motivate me.  It doesn't have to be a race.  It could be a goal time or distance.  Just something to work towards.
  • Have some accountability.  Ask a friend to join you once a week.  At least you'll get one run in a week!  ;)  Or share your running stories with people online.  Studies have shown that people are 1billion % more likely to do something if they've got accountability.  (This study was conducted in my imagination and has not been scientifically proven.)
Like I said, these tips have worked for me and I hope they'll help you, too.  But if not, figure out what will and get going!  One thing is for sure, you won't regret getting healthier.  

No comments: