Friday, July 9, 2010

humidity, humidity go away!

Yeah, it has a better ring to it if you say "rain"...but it fits the current weather pattern we've got going right now! We've had a sweltering end to June/beginning of July! Temps have been in 80's and 90's at the end of June and this first week of July has been in the 90's each day (Monday we reached 104!!!). Not only that but the humidity has been at least 85% each day, compounding the hotness. It's been rough.

That being said, I've still gotten some great mileage in. After my last post I had two 33mi weeks (!), a week off for my "mission trip" (leading VBS at my home church), and I am currently posting 23 miles this week. I've got a long run on the docket for tomorrow...here's hoping I reach 13!!! :)

With all the heat/humidity, I've needed to beat it. So, I've been getting up earlier...the alarm goes off at 5am. I snooze until 5:30am, grab a banana and some water, head out the door by 6am. With this routine I can get up to 9miles in before it's essential that I get back to get ready for work! Now, if you know me, you know I like my snooze button! I am not, nor have I EVER been, the kind to bound out of bed when the alarm goes off. I like to take my time to get up. Let my body adjust to the early hour. Buuuuut, it's working for me so far...I will try to keep this up, however I will probably NEVER been the kind to bound out of bed. It's just not in my nature.

All this said, I found that I enjoy running in the morning! Wait, what? Who am I?! I like that there aren't as many people out and about. I like that it's still somewhat cool. I like that I have the rest of the day to spend with people (after work, of course). I like that I have a little more self control when it comes to eating b/c I don't want to negate my morning work out by eating all kinds of junk. I like that I get to go to bed earlier (also, if you know me, you know going to bed is praaaabably my favorite part of the day...).

A couple of race/run recaps and an update on Maine Marathon:
  • I ran with my friend to her first 5K finish and she did great! It was about 80deg.
  • I ran with another friend to her first sub-10min/mile 5K! It was about 85deg.
  • I ran a 5K in 85deg/ 85% humidity in full sunlight....at 9am.
  • I attempted a 12miler and only got to 7 due to it being 85deg and 87% humidity at 8am.
  • My friend and I spent last weekend in Maine where we drove to Portland, did a loop around Back Cove (3.5mi) at 12pm in full sunlight (big mistake...I nearly passed out at one point) then drove the Marathon course!!!!!!!
  • I am SO excited for Oct 3rd!!!
Here's to more morning runs, my friends!!

1 comment:

By George said...

You should visit us here and train for a few days in the 90+ heat and 300% humidity (slight exaggeration...) It might make summer in NE feel crisp and autumnal!

Chris did a run the other day at around 4pm and came back and said it felt hotter than it did the previous day. Well that was because it was 101 degrees out. No wonder the dog was so listless!