Wednesday, December 29, 2010

christmas, blizzards and free entries...oh, my!!

It's been an interesting week, friends!  Christmas week was full of rehearsals and services (that were wonderful!).  I got just a couple of training runs in that week...  On Sunday evening the Northeast was pounded with a blizzard.  We got a total of over 18in of snow in my town with lots and lots of crazy wind.  Both of these things have derailed the training a bit, I will admit. 

Yesterday I hit the gym with a friend (running outside was out of the question yesterday) and did just over 4mi on the treadmill.  And I remembered just how much I disliked that thing.  However, it does the job when I absolutely can not get outside. 

To ensure that doesn't happen too often I made a few purchases yesterday.  One being a pair of trail running shoes.  They are the same brand and model as my favorite running shoes so I know they'll fit great.  I've been wanting a pair for a while and figured what better time?  They'll have more grippy bottoms that my current road trainers which will be great in the snow.  I also got a pair of Yaktrax.  These are rubber netting things that fit over shoes to help grip in the snow and ice.  I'm excited to try them...I've heard great reviews and decided I might as well give them a try. 

A couple more things to note:  Santa (aka my dad) brought me a Kalamazoo Marathon tech shirt which I am excited to wear sometime soon.  I typically don't wear the shirt before I run the race...but this isn't the official shirt so I think it'll be okay.  Speaking of the Kalamazoo Marathon, I received an email yesterday informing me that I was the first person from Massachusetts to register.  Which means I receive free entry and a free pair of New Balance shoes!  We (the first people to register from each state and our families) also get to hang out in the 50 State Challenge tent and get special treatment.  How swank.  Way to go, Kalamazoo Marathon!

Looking ahead to this week, I'll be getting in 6 or so at lunchtime today.  Tomorrow will be the same.  Friday I am taking my friend to the gym again.  Saturday I'll be doing a 10K in Lowell (if you're in the area, swing by!!).  When will I get my long run in this week, you ask?  I'm not sure...  Some creative scheduling is necessary it seems...

2 comments:

Katrina said...

LOVE that you got new shoes for FREE! (and entry for free too!) Way to be from MA! :)
Miss you friend!

Kirsten McLaughlin said...

Trail shoes? Who's cooler than you?