Thursday, December 2, 2010

a tale of two runs

It was the worst of runs, it was the best of runs.  And now that I'm finished plagiarizing...  Seriously though, I feel like the past two runs have been polar opposites of one another.  Below are brief summaries of each:

Weds:  All day at work the rain was on and off.  I didn't realize it, because it's so dark outside my window, but it had begun raining around 5pm, just as I am heading out for my miles.  I figured it would be wet out so I came prepared with my hat to keep the rain off my face.  At least it was warm out, about 52deg or so.  What I didn't expect was wind and hard rain.  I'd only gotten about a mile into my run when I realized that maybe this was just a bit crazy.  But that made me laugh and decide that I might as well keep going because it was crazy but it was also kinda fun.  Fast forward to mile 3.  Lexington has these weird moths that only come out at night from wooded areas.  I think they are disgusting.  Running along Mass Ave, read: non-wooded, I figured I would not encounter any moths.  WRONG.  I saw it coming, it was about neck level and moving upward....and then it was IN MY MOUTH.  I coughed, I hacked, I spit, I gagged.  But I never slowed my pace.  Yes, I kept going while trying to get this nasty creature repelled from my throat.  I finally did...but couldn't help but feel like there was a piece of it still back there.  (cough, cough!)  The rest of the run was uneventful but by the time I was finished I was literally soaked from head to toe, dripping.  I was excited to get home to a warm shower and dry clothes but first stopped for a burrito for dinner.  Priorities, people!  For the record:  4miles at a 9:04 pace.

Thurs (tonight):  It was a bit chilly (38), but clear and calm.  I wore my old shoes as my current ones were still wet from yesterday's puddle jumping.  That's pretty much it.  It was an easy, quick 6mi at a 9:23 pace.

Weather and moths change everything...Let this be your lesson from this post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just spent a lot of time sitting in front of my computer reading your blog...loved every second of it. I miss you! ~Karyn :)