Friday, June 24, 2011

never an exciting moment

You're all familiar, I'm sure, with the saying, "never a dull moment..."  Well, typically when I'm at the gym, I feel the opposite is true.  There's never an exciting moment there.  It's so boring, even with music and television, it's all I can do to slog through a treadmill or elliptical workout.

Well, last night, as I was nearly finished with my workout something exciting happened.  I wish I could tell you it was the good kind.  But it wasn't.  I was on the elliptical listening to some tunes to keep myself going when all of a sudden a heard a commotion and people yelling, "Turn it off!  Turn it off!"  They were referring to a treadmill that had continued going while a man was lying on the floor, unconscious behind it.  People rushed to see if he was okay when all of a sudden, he began seizing.  I knew that I was not needed (nor would I be of any use) if I went over to try and help so I shut off my music and began to pray for this man and for those who were on their way to help him. 

A policeman arrived, followed by a couple of firemen and finally some paramedics.  The man was sitting up and hopefully conscious by the time I left (just 10min after the incident).  I'm not sure what exactly happened or if the man is okay...but I sure do hope he is. 

I also hope that the gym will go back to being boring.  This is not the kind of excitement I like to see...

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Oh girl, I had almost the exact thing happen to me YEARS ago. Woman behind me in a gym class fell to the floor, seizing and such. Instructor ran back and started CPR. Paramedics came, took over CPR, did the defibrillator and a tracheotomy (I am not kidding). Entire class stood by during this and I, too, felt all i could do was pray.

Turns out she had a heart attack and they saved her life. She, apparently, was back in the gym a few weeks later. CRAZY and something you never forget. Hope your guy is ok. HUGS to you!!