Tuesday, June 28, 2011

a mighty fine race

This past Sunday, I raced with the B.A.A.  And it was awesome!  They put on a really great race:  wave starts so the course isn't too crowded, water stops every mile, hundreds of volunteers, and pretty sweet shirts.  They also brought in the winners of this past year's marathon; male and female.  They both won this race as well.  :)  As it was an out and back course I got to see them fly by me.  Literally, it's like their feet don't even touch the ground.  I finished exactly 30minutes behind the leader; that's 5min/mile slower. 

The weather was fine; super humid, cloudy and warm.  Thank goodness for the clouds because otherwise the race would have been much different!  As it was, I didn't feel like I was going to set a PR (personal record) as I hit the half way point at just over 29min.  But the second half proved to treat me well and I finished the 10K in a time of 57:06.  That's 9:15min/miles (the leader finished in 27:18...which is just under 5min/mi). 

Here's a pic of me and some friends prior to the race:


I didn't have a whole lot of time to enjoy the post-race party but I did get my medal and picked up some goodies on the way out.  I headed for the T completely drenched in sweat...gross, but as a friend pointed out, it's not the worst the T has seen, surely.  I made it home in time to quickly head to church then made my way to a friend's house where we played Just Dance on the Wii for over an hour - that's a great arm workout, btw.  All in all, it was an awesome day and I'm stoked that in my debut with the BAA I got myself a PR.  That, my friends, is a mighty fine race. 

No comments: