Saturday, June 18, 2011

runner's tan lines

It's been pretty sunny most of my training days.  I'm not complaining...there's nothing pleasant about a rainy spring and summer!  But it sure does make for interesting tan lines as a runner...

I have a line just below my knees and one just below my ankles.  The skin in between these lines is tan.  On the other side of each line is still winter white.  Eeek.  I have a line on my left wrist that clearly defines my watch band.  I have a ring around my neck, in the front and the back, that showcases the neckline of my favorite running shirts.  It's all pretty impressive.

I should mention, in case you're wondering...I do wear sunscreen.  Matter of fact, I've recently started wearing this sport sunscreen from Neutrogena.  It's easy to spray on, doesn't stink and stays on!  Even when it's super hot and I'm, ahem, glistening.  (Women don't sweat.)  I don't use that on my face, though. I use another Neutrogena sunscreen, the same one I take to the beach.  I mix it with my moisturizer on a daily basis and it is great!  Not greasy, doesn't sting my eyes, and protects my face from the sun.

In my younger days, I couldn't be bothered with sunscreen and wouldn't have thought twice about going out for a run at prime sun time with out protection.  Now that I'm older and wiser (sort of...) I sure do.  Getting a tan is not my primary goal in the summer any more.  Staying healthy is.

Okay, I'm getting off my soap box and will talk training now.  This past week was the first official week of training for Newport.  I only racked up 21mi because I was lazy.  But I got a solid 11mi in today despite the heat.  I ran the first 6mi with my friend Joci (who pinky swore that she would run a half marathon within a year!).  The last 5mi were on my own.  It's hot...but man, it's a gorgeous day.  So happy to have a beautiful summer day!!!  Hopefully it stays nice and sunny so I can work on these tan lines more...

No comments: