Thursday, December 15, 2011

christmas wish list

I just read an article on runnersworld.com about the wish lists for a few chosen pro-athletes/runner types.  Check it out here.  Some were practical, some were ridiculous, some were noble and some were just down right weird.

Case in point.  Dave McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon, had this as number three on his list:

"Non-sleeping pill–I've always felt that sleep is over rated. As humans, I know we all require sleep, myself included. However, who invented that and why? We are only here for a short period of time. Sleep is such a waste of valuable time. I'd like someone to develop a pill that mimics sleep by slowing your metabolism but allows you to stay awake and function throughout the night. That would be a big seller–well, I'd buy it but not sure anyone else would."

This is in direct juxtaposition from what I posted yesterday.  Our bodies need rest, our minds need rest.  It's good for us!  And quite honestly, the thought of doing stuff (whatever the stuff may be) for 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, sounds awful!!  I get out of bed in the morning thinking how great it will feel to go back to bed at night after a full, satisfying day.  I love my sleep.  I need my sleep!  
To each his own, and all that...but that pill sure won't be making it on my Christmas Wish List!

In case you're wondering what IS on my list:
1. Donations to the Respite Center!!!
2. coffee, in any form.
3. an oversized fisherman's type sweater, like this.
4. Asics GT-2170's - I go through 2-3 pairs of shoes a year.  

What's on your Christmas Wish List?



No comments: