Wednesday, January 25, 2012

movie quotes come in handy

Due to a poorly timed snow storm, I did not get my long run in on Saturday as previously hoped.  I took a few hours off from work and did it on Tuesday. 

I could not have chosen a better day!  After the snow storm on Saturday (through which I drove to a delightful brunch at a friend's house - hooray for mimosa's at 11am!), Sunday was a jam-packed day of drama, youth group, drama, church, football, drama, church, The Help.  Full day!  Monday didn't seem to be the right day either as I wasn't sure what the weather would be like.  Turns out it wasn't super great...like yesterday was.

Tuesday came with bright blue skies, clear sunshine and 54deg temperatures.  Did you catch that?  54deg.  In January.  So after working in the morning, I changed into my running gear and set out on the Minuteman Bikeway.  I headed toward Arlington and ended up going all the way to the Alewife T stop in Cambridge.

I felt awesome heading out.  The wind was at my back, I had lots of energy, it was a glorious day!  But as I turned around, I began to feel a bit tired out.  Knowing I still had another 10 or so miles I was feeling a bit daunted but kept plugging away. 

It was at the 3 more miles to go point when I'd had enough.  Out of nowhere this mantra popped into my head, "I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful!"  Over and over and over I repeated this to myself before realizing where it came from.  What About Bob?  Of course!  Some people love this movie, some people hate it but sometimes it comes in handy to have a Bill Murray movie quote stuck in your head.  And on Tuesday it did. 

I also started chanting, "Just.  Keep.  Running."  Over and over, out loud.  On a crowded street.  At some point, I just stop caring what people think of me!  I finished with a grand total of 17.57mi.  Not too bad!!  I was a little stiff and sore that night and on Wednesday, but not the bad kind of sore - the good kind! 

This morning my roommate and I got up early and headed out for a 4miler in some freshly fallen snow.  Some parts were soft and quiet, some parts were hard and crunchy.  Made for a fun run so early in the day.  :) 


No comments: