Thursday, January 19, 2012

time flies when you're training

I'm a little surprised that it's been so long since my last post!  I feel like it was just a couple days ago...  I just wanted to post a quick recap of my runs and a few things that I've been up to.

This past weekend I did a few long runs in the bitter cold.  Seriously.  It was reeeeally cold.  Friday night I was a wimp and got 5 solid miles in at the gym.  Saturday I woke to sunny skies with the temperature around 15 or so.  I waited until about 11am to go out and run in the hopes that it would warm up just a bit!  Well, the temp got up to about 28, but the wind was still blowing at 20mph.  Great resistance training...but really cold.  Add to the fact that I was already feeling unwell, it was a terrible run.  I felt achy, sick, and angry.  Literally every step beyond mile 8 (I only did 10) was accompanied by an "I. Hate. This."  But as I always say, the horrible runs make us appreciate the awesome ones.

Fast forward to Monday.  I went for a 8.8mi run with my friend, Jocelyn, who is training for a half marathon.  That run was awesome.  I felt great!  It was fun to get a bit lost and figure out where we were, it was nice to not know exactly what the terrain would look like.  It was just one of those really great runs that I appreciate after those really horrible ones.  Also of note on this run:  I finally used a Camelbak I purchased specifically for long runs.  I figured there was no better time to try it and it worked perfectly!  It was light, didn't bounce around too much, carries 1.5L of liquid and has room for keys, phone, Gu's, etc.  I was pleased it has turned out to be such an ideal purchase.

I haven't run since Monday.  I've taken on a lot to get through this week - which is fun, but challenging too.  I have a rehearsal for a drama tonight (get ready Grace Chapel folks, it's a tear jerker!) but after that I'll head to the gym for 5 treadmill miles.  And this weekend is 17.5mi!!!!  I'm excited because it's a course I haven't run since summer - from Peabody through Salem to Marblehead, around the neck twice then back the same way I came.  It's a beautiful route, even in the winter. 

One last thing:  I registered for the NYC Marathon Lottery (if I don't get in this year, I automatically get in for 2013) and this was posted at the top:

Please note that participating in a marathon is an extremely strenuous activity. Applicants should seriously consider consulting their physicians before committing to participate in this event. 

I have one word for this disclaimer:  DUH.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Let's hear it for almost being in the NYC Marathon! I won't hold my breath for this year but you can bet I will be at the finish line in 2013!!!

Anonymous said...

lol keep it up. Watched ride the divide tonight thanks for the recommendation.
John