Tuesday, February 14, 2012

valentine's schamlentine's

It was this day in history back in the 1st century that St. Valentine was beheaded.  When you buy your roses and chocolates and stuffed teddy bears for your sweetheart, that's what you are celebrating.  Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, right?

When I was in high school, Valentine's Day was a big deal.  Every one wanted to have a Valentine.  The student council even sold roses leading up to V-Day that people could purchase and write a note to go with it.  On V-Day the student council representatives would go into the lockers of those with roses and leave them while the rest of us were in class.  Those girls who didn't get a rose?  We all got carnations.  It was obvious who had people who loved them and who didn't.  My friends and I dubbed our yearly carnations as Loser Flowers.  To this day, carnations remind me of being lonely and unhappy in high school.

Fast forward a few years:  I'm now a healthy, emotionally adjusted adult (most of the time, ahem!).  Now V-Day is no longer about the boy who doesn't give me flowers or the candy no one brings me.  It's not about reminding me that I'm single (it is NOT single-awareness day!).  It's about celebrating all kinds of love in my life.  Especially the love that I receive from my heavenly Father.  His love knows no end and He will love me more than anyone else could and more than I will ever comprehend.

One of my loves is running - duh.  And tonight, I've got a 6mi date with these new bad boys - and I cannot wait!!  Flowers fade, candy has empty calories...but a pair of new running shoes will never let you down.  ;)

No comments: