Monday, March 12, 2012

the longest and shortest

In five weeks from today, I will have just completed my third marathon.  It will be a great day, no doubt!  But to get there, I have to get through these next five weeks.  Guaranteed they will be both the longest five weeks and the shortest five weeks.

Why the shortest?  Because I feel underprepared, of course!  But as a good friend pointed out to me yesterday, I always feel underprepared.  I don't think I've gone into a marathon (or a half marathon, either for that matter) and thought to myself, "absolutely, I am totally ready for this."  I'm always a bit hesitant to say whether I will do well or PR.  I always hope for those things, obviously.  But saying them out loud just makes me feel like I'm jinxing it.

Also, this year is positively flying by and I know for a fact that April 16th will be here before you or I know it!  Can you believe it's nearly the middle of March?!  Me neither.

Why the longest?  Because I'm so stinking excited!  I keep imagining the course lined with people cheering on the weary, sweaty runners.  I imagine my friends at the finish line ready to give me a hug no matter how disgusting I will be (you all better be ready to hug me - be forewarned that I will not only be sweaty but also incoherent and blubbering like a baby).  I imagine getting my rewards:  1. the sheer fact of saying, "Oh, yeah.  I ran Boston in 2012."  2. Wearing the jacket legitimately.  3. a giant cheeseburger and fries and (possibly) a chocolate milkshake.

I hope that I will build confidence over the next five weeks and that I will have patience as well.  And that I will feel prepared enough to kick this marathon in the face.  You heard me.

In training news - I ran my second to last long run yesterday in the glorious sunshine.  It was tough but I felt good afterwards.  Thankfully my friend, Jocelyn who is training for her own half marathon, came to run the last 8 miles with me.  She was a great motivator reminding me not to give up with just 4, 3, 2 miles to go!  Today I feel great - I mean, I'm exhausted but not sore, which I take as a huge win.

This week will be some maintenance runs then a 12-13miler on Saturday.  My final long run will be on March 24th when I will run from the starting line in Hopkinton to the 22mi mark at BC.  I'll take on those hills one more time before we meet on the 16th.

I'm looking forward to these final training runs but I'm also ready to let them come in due time.  It's a delicate balance.


No comments: