Friday, April 20, 2012

boston breakdown

I've put this off a bit because I haven't really wanted to admit that it's really over... And the thought of trying to put this experience into words is a little overwhelming.  Reflecting on the training, the anticipation, the support and encouragement, and finally race day - April 16th, 2012 is probably one of the best days of my life.  How does one describe that?!

The Nerves - It started a few days before.  The BAA was sending out emails warning runners to not look at this as a race, rather as an experience.  There were lots of warnings about staying hydrated but not too hydrated.  They said if you didn't qualify, if you aren't fit, if you have a heart condition, if you are at all nervous about the heat:  you shouldn't run.  I immediately started to question my fitness level and all of my training.  These nerves carried over into the morning of as I waited at Athlete's Village, as I made my way to my corral, and as the gun went off.  The nerves stayed with me as I ran the first 6-7miles.  People were passing me on the left and right, I was realizing just how HOT it actually was, I was running too fast but couldn't slow it down.

Settling In - At mile 7, I saw my friend John (who as you may recall spent many miles with me on the course in training).  He had some words of encouragement and wisdom ("You're doing great!!  Just slow down!  Pour water on your head!").  After shedding a few tears about how hot it was and how I didn't think I could do it, I trudged on, knowing that I just wanted to make it at least halfway.  Thankfully, I settled in enough to make it the whole way, feeling better in the second half than in the first!

Friends on the Course - Besides John and Shayne, there were a few other friends I got to see as I settled into a comfortable pace through Framingham, Natick and into Wellesley.  A couple at mile 8.5, a couple at mile 10.5.  I saw John again at 14 where he jumped in (with the emergency kit on his back - what a friend!) and ran the rest of the way.  There were a couple at mile 17.5, just before heading up the hills.  Another friend and her little bitty baby were at mile 19, just before Heartbreak.

High Points Along the Course - Besides the places where I saw my friends, a favorite spot was heading into Wellesley.  It's got some rolling hills and looks more rural than any other place on the course.  It's there you begin to hear the screams of the Wellesley College girls.  They are LOUD.  It was at this point that I started to see some of my fellow Respite Center runners.  A couple were struggling but I tried to pass along some encouragement to keep them going.  Another high point was getting up and over the highway overpass at mile 16.  I hated this spot during training but during the race I was too distracted looking for a coworker that I didn't even notice it.  Praise the Lord for small miracles there!  Getting over the Newton hills was a huge relief.  I ran better during the race than during training; so much so that the hills seemed a bit smaller.  Perhaps it was my mantra of "Up. Up. Up." or maybe it was the fact that I was passing people on the hills...  The last 5 miles were PACKED with people.  Those miles were definitely a huge high point.

Spectators - The people who came out to support the runners were nothing short of amazing.  They brought everything from garden hoses to ice to popsicles to cold, wet paper towels.  They stood tirelessly in the heat cheering on the runners as we passed by.  Shade was hard to come by for the runners, but equally hard to come by for the spectators.  I think I'm a bit spoiled for having run Boston and experiencing a 26.2mile wall of people.  The college kids that lined the course from BC into Boston were probably a bit drunk...but that just made them cheer louder.  I believe that it was absolutely the crowds in those last five miles that pushed me to keep running a sub 10:30min/mile pace.

The Volunteers - I cannot say enough about the support of the volunteers.  The water station volunteers, the starting line volunteers, the finish line volunteers - all had a smile and encouragement for the runners as we passed by, gratefully grabbing aid along the way.  A huge thank you to all the EMTs, firemen, policemen and medical response teams.  Thankfully, I didn't need their help but so many did and this race would have been far worse if not for their involvement and care.

The Finish - I saw that Citgo sign - the one mile to go mark - and I nearly cried in relief and sadness (both because the race was almost over).  I knew that after all the pain that I had just endured, I was GOING TO DO THIS.  There was no stopping me.  I stepped on the gas (what fumes were left) and pushed myself down Comm Ave, up Hereford St and finally onto Boylston.  Up ahead was the 26mi marker and a bit further, the finish line to the Boston Marathon.  I ran towards it, arms in the air, determination in my eyes.  That last mile I ran a 9:58min/mi.  After 25mi in 88deg heat.

Post Race - Immediately, I started crying.  I looked at John and kept saying in disbelief, "I just ran Boston.  I just ran Boston."  Even he got a little teary-eyed but you couldn't tell b/c he kept his sunglasses on.  :)  I was immediately starting to cramp up so we kept moving.  I saw my friend, Bonnie and ran over to give her a giant sweaty hug, all the while crying my eyes out.  I pressed on through the finisher corral, got a heat blanket to get the sun off of me (and because those last few miles I was getting a little cold) and finally got my medal.  When someone offered me some kind of protein recovery drink I said no, until she mentioned that it was cold.  Those last few miles, all the Gatorade and water was warm and not too refreshing.  So a cold drink was incredibly welcoming.  We made it through the finisher corral and went to the corner where we were to meet our friends.  It was so great to see the support, encouragement and pride on their faces when they saw me.  I started crying all over again. 

It's still kind of a dream that it actually happened.  Almost a bit surreal.  I'm still trying to process everything - what I've learned about myself, the amount of strength I have and the power of prayer.  But, friends, I must stress this:  I could not have finished this without the support of you.  Knowing I would be able to share this was a huge motivator to get me through.

So, THANK YOU for supporting me financially (I am just $400 from my goal!  You can still donate!!), emotionally and prayerfully.  And thank you, Boston, for an experience of a lifetime.

No comments: