Monday, May 7, 2012

a (half) marathon journey

If I have to wait until November 2013 to run another marathon (I don't...but I want to), I need to have another goal to get me through the next 12mos before training starts again.  What better way to do that then to present myself with another challenge, another journey - if you will.

To keep myself in good shape and working towards NYC, I decided to run a Half Marathon a month until next May.  Half marathons are the perfect distance, in my opinion.  It's a satisfying distance that you have to train hard and work for, but it is very attainable and rewarding.  The time it takes to train for a half is far less than a full marathon but you still get the challenge of running a distance a large number of people can't or won't.  It won't ruin your body but the training keeps you in good shape.  (It's also a good starting point for serious marathon training but I'll think more about next year.)

There are a few challenges I foresee in this adventure:  1. actually finding half marathons that are within a reasonable driving distance to me!  I have only 4 of 12 planned out (see info below).  2. Making sure the races I do find don't conflict with plans that are already on the calendar.  And 3. Staying healthy/strong enough to complete each one.  I'm nervous about not getting colds/flu/etc, but also about not twisting anything or straining any muscles (esp my ITBand!). 

Here's the list so far:
May - Boston's Run to Remember
June -
July  -
August - Monadnock Half Marathon
September - Around Cape Ann 25K (not a half...but it's 15.59mi so I'm going to count it!)
October - Applefest Half Marathon
November - (There are two that are up for discussion...will update when this is decided)
December -
January -
February -
March -
April -
May -

As you can see, there are many months that I don't have one listed.  If you know of one for those months (and want to run with me...or not) let me know! Let the (half) journey begin!

1 comment:

John said...

Do the baa half in october with me and brian!