Thursday, May 24, 2012

lookin' good; feelin' good

When I first started running I wore a lot of cotton.  Cotton T-shirts, cotton running pants (yes, pants!), cotton, cotton, cotton!  I recall running my first half marathon in a heavy cotton tank top and thick knee-length shorts.  Looking back on those pictures I cringe just a little bit.  The main reason I wore stuff like that was to hide my bulky body.  I wasn't happy with the way I looked, in general but especially while running, and the thought of putting on spandex was unheard of.  Spandex used to be a swear word in my book. 

Since the summer of 2007, I've learned a thing or two about liking my figure and liking (horror of horrors!) spandex.  These tech-wick fabrics are specially designed to keep you cool and keep the sweat off of you.  Whereas a cotton T-shirt will get weighed down with the sweat and, in cases where you're running long, will begin to chafe.  More fitted synthetic fabrics will not bunch and droop to one side as I've noticed T-shirts have a tendency to do.

I have found that fitted knee-length pants are my all time favorite bottoms to run in.  I used to run in loose cotton capris but found that they did not breathe so well.  I'd end super hot at the end of a run even if it was only 60deg.  After finding these synthetic fabrics (at a great price, too - thanks, Target!), my running world turned around.  Of course after running more, I found that I actually looked pretty good in the tighter clothes and I wasn't embarrassed by my body anymore.  It turns out it's a win-win. 

The only down side to these synthetic fabrics is they hold the sweaty, musty smell much better than the cotton clothes.  It gets deep down into the fibers and even after washing the item a bagillion times, it still smells like you just went to the gym.  The trick is to get a laundry detergent that is made specifically for workout clothes/materials.  I have found Tide Sport with Febreeze to be my favorite.  My clothes (many-year-old running clothes included) come out smelling like green apples.  Mmmmm.  Really, is there a better smell in the world than freshly laundered clothes?  Maybe fresh-cut grass...or steak being grilled.  I digress...

If you've been running for a while and haven't dared to try "real running clothes" (as I used to think of them before I became a "real runner"), I would suggest giving it a go.  You'll be surprised at how good you'll look and how good you'll feel! 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I felt this way when my dad first sent me a pair of "real" running tights. I could not believe how much better they felt than sweats or yoga capris during a run... and I suddenly felt like if you saw me you would think "that girl is a runner". It was a major shift!