Tuesday, June 26, 2012

owww

Well, friends.  I went to my first EDGEfit class.  I have to admit, I was trying to come up with excuses all afternoon.  Maybe I'm not feeling well?  Is that a headache brewing?  What about just going for a run, instead?  Perhaps I'm the only one who does this but even if I'm excited about something (which I sure was about this class), I still get nervous and psych myself out with these kinds of things.

As you gathered from my second sentence, I did end up going.  I walked into the room which was outfitted like some kind of torture chamber:  cement floor and walls, metal bars attached to three of the four walls with ropes and pulleys hanging from them.  There was that nervous excitement again...

When the instructor walked in she greeted the 15 of us and casually assessed our fitness levels.  Then she went through the workout of the day:

  • 15 Kettle Bell Swings
  • 15 Knee Ups (while hanging from one of those metal bars - you're supposed to bring your knees all the way up to the bar.  Shockingly, I could not.)
  • 15 Plank Jumping Jacks (literally a jumping jack while in the plank position)
  • 15 Scissor Kick Lunges (I am not coordinated enough for this yet so I just did 30 regular lunges)
  • 15 Reverse Crunches 
Doing one round of this would have been easy enough.  Hey, doing two or three would be have been good, right?  We did five.  By the time I was finished - in a time of 25:50 - I was a rubbery, sweaty MESS.  I texted my friend right after the class and literally said, "first EDGEfit class...I just died."  He merely responded with: LOL.  

I knew that if I was that sore walking out of the class, I would be utterly useless today.  But surprisingly, while I am sore, I'm not painfully so.  This is the kind of sore that I actually like to feel.  It makes me feel like I did something that was challenging and I overcame it.  Which I did.  Those Plank Jumping Jacks were the hardest physical thing I've done in a long time!

I'm looking forward to the 14 classes I have left.  The harder a challenge is, the stronger you grow from it!!   

2 comments:

By George said...

Awesome! That workout sounds awful...and good! I do a lot of Crossfit so I totally get the "5 Sets That Bring You to a Place of Exhaustion You Didn't Know Was Possible"

You should TOTALLY try Krav Maga, by the way. AMAZING stuff.

By George said...

I say "totally" a lot.