Thursday, June 28, 2012

words have meaning

I'm not big into listening to music while I'm running.  Unless I'm on the treadmill, I run unplugged.  I like to hear my breathing, my footfalls, and what's going on around me.  I am not the biggest fan of having a bike whiz past me at crazy mph on the bikepath with out me hearing it coming first. 

Most other times, I've got some sort of music on.  In the car, at work, while cooking, as I clean my room, when I fold laundry...I'm listening to something.  I even wake up to music, my alarm is the radio.  Mostly, I listen to country music.  I know, I know, a lot of people dislike it, but I have loved it since I was a teenager.

I think the reason that I am so drawn to music is because I'm naturally an emotional person.  I easily feel a certain way when I listen to certain songs.  When I go to church on Sundays I make sure I'm on time because I don't want to miss the music. 

Words are incredibly powerful, especially when put to music.  I'm sure you can hear a song from long ago and it brings you back to a place that you'll never forget.  Or you hear a song and immediately you think of a person who was special to you at one time...and maybe still is.  Sometimes all it takes is to hear a line from a song and you're transported to another time and place.  There are songs that I can listen to over and over and every single time, I will be brought to tears.  I love that.

My current favorite song is a songwriter's motivation behind writing songs like this.  Songs that tell a story, that take you places, that mean something.  It's by David Nail, called, "The Sound of a Million Dreams."  The chorus goes like this:

So I labor for hours 'cause I know the power
Of a song when when a song hits you right
Pouring my soul into stories of life
Hoping someone'll hear one tonight
Maybe my voice will cut through the noise
And stir up an old memory
And out of these piano keys
Comes the sound, the sound of a million dreams

Do you have a song that reminds you of somewhere, something, or someone special?  

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I'd have to say U2 has been my soundtrack (yes I watch Bryan's sermons online! :) )

Any one of their songs from 1981 on could be played and I'd have some sort of memory pop into my head or I'm brought back to a place or something similar.

"Bad" is my all-time fave U2 song...it elicits lots of memories but mostly brings me to college and reminds me of some special friends.

PS: I LOVE Country!!