Monday, July 23, 2012

the "shoulds"

A lot of times when I go out for a run, it's because I want to.  I want to get outside.  I want to exercise.  Or, I just want to be alone for an hour.  Whatever the reason, most of the time, I go for a run because I want to.

Then there are those times when I go for a run because I feel like I should.  I see other runners and think to myself that when I get home, I should go for a run.  I haven't run in three days, I should go for a run.  I ate a burrito last night, I definitely should go for a run.  

It's not a freeing, I-feel-so-great kind of a run.  It's a let-me-strap-on-my-backpack-full-of-guilt kind of run.  Which typically makes those runs suck.  (Just being honest.)  That being said though, when I struggle through the "should" runs, eventually it works out that a few days later, the "want to" runs return and I'm feeling good about running again.

This happened just this past week.  After HM #3, I took a few days off.  I didn't run for four days in a row.  (Who am I?!)  So, on the fifth day, I grudgingly tugged on my fun green Asics (from the title picture) and set out on a 5, maybe 6, okay let's make it 7mile run.  It was hot, I walked, I whined to myself and about myself.  But I finished and felt better for it.

I think there are a lot of ways this translates into our normal lives.  How often do we feel guilted into doing something because we should?  But soon enough, those habits become wants and, if those things are good for us, we are all the better for it.  Sure, we had to struggle through some rough days, but we came out on the other end with a good thing going.

Some examples:

I should stop drinking so much soda.  I want to drink more water
I should shop for cheaper groceries.  I want to go to Market Basket (but ONLY when it's not busy...)
I should eat healthier.  I want to eat more vegetables.
I should not eat so much ice cream.  I want to eat frozen yogurt instead.  (I mean, a girl can only give up so much....)

I could go on.  Are there shoulds that have turned into wants in your life?  Wouldn't you know it, running started out intially as a should.  Now (most days) it's a want.  Bet you couldn't have guessed that coming...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I *should* buy 3+ pairs of the same running shoe once I find that I like them. It just kills me to spend that much money at one time these days...