Tuesday, July 24, 2012

17 days

Just over 2wks to HM #4.  The Monadnock Half Marathon in Jaffrey, NH.  Here's the course description:

"Less Rt 202 and more back roads...including the rail trail and about a mile of nice, soft rolling trails!  Yes, there is a pretty major hill that rivals Witt Hill from last year....but we will have an aide station at the top and, well, just enjoy the scenery.  This is not the type of course to try to PR on.  Come out, absorb the scenery, hit one of the many aide stations (more than last year) and pace yourself.   If you do these things...you will like this course and do well.

If you happen to be an adrenaline junkie....this is the course for you.  We do warn you to not hammer the first few miles on the rail trail.  You will need the energy.  If you fuel yourself right and are wise in the beginning, you will be able to maintain your pace through the hills (mostly) and finish fast (almost all down hill post mile 9)." 

There are two things that strike me about this course description.  I've bolded them above.  1. A pretty major hill - I did not run this last year and I don't know what Witt Hill was like...perhaps that's a good thing.  One pretty major hill doesn't sound so bad.  We'll see how it goes.  I am excited about the fact that part of it is on a rail trail and that it's scenic.  I do love a scenic race.  

Also, 2. I am NOT an adrenaline junkie.  I have never desired to go skydiving, bungee jumping or any kind of falling from the sky (heck, I don't even like to fly in "safe" planes).   I am not a fan of any sports where I have the potential of hurting myself.  I'm just a big baby.  Anyway, I'm registered for this adrenaline packed race and we'll see how it goes.  I am pretty good at holding myself back in HMs and running a better second half than first half.  This might just serve me well!

A quick update on the upcoming HMs for the rest of the year:
  • September 3rd - Around Cape Ann 25K in Gloucester
  • October 6th - Applefest in Hollis, NH
  • October 7th - BAA Half Marathon in Boston (I know what you're thinking...but I couldn't resist this race for one more year...I REALLY wanted to do it.)
  • November 4th - All Women (and One Lucky Guy) Half in Newburyport.  Perhaps a birthday celebration is in order post-race!  (My b-day is just two days later)
  • December 1st - St Jude's Memphis Marathon in Memphis, TN.  Soooo excited to run another marathon and to see Memphis!  And to run with my friend and her husband, Erika and Scott!  (The link will take you to Team Bales' fundraising page, not to the event homepage.)
I haven't begun to map out the races for 2013 yet.  If you know of one in the New England area that I simply MUST do, let me know!  And as usual, if anyone wants to join me for any of these races, I would absolutely welcome the company.  

No comments: