Friday, July 27, 2012

flashback friday #10

Junior year.  I turned 16.  I got my driver's license.  I got a job.  In fact, the day I got my license my friend and I went to the mall with the sole purpose of me applying for jobs.  Within 5min of being on the road, I ran a red light.  Thankfully, no one was coming through the intersection and there were no cops - but it sure did freak me out!  Later that year I got into my first car accident, pulled out in front of someone and got hit from behind.  I was terrified to come home thinking I would be in BIG trouble.  But a few tears went along with the ticket I received and I didn't get punished too badly.  ;)

My first job was working at The Original Cookie Co. in Crossroads Mall.  It's just like Mrs. Fields...  We sold all sorts of cookies, muffins, brownies, big cookie cakes (I am still a pro at writing in icing, especially Happy Valentine's Day....) and little mini cookies, too.  I worked a few other places at the mall too.  Northern Reflections (which no longer exists) and Gadzooks - hard to believe there was (is?!) a store called Gadzooks... I only worked there for a short time.  I worked at Northern Reflections sister stores too:  Lady Footlocker and Kinney Shoes.  I do not like selling shoes. 

While we're on the subject of jobs, my later jobs included Child Development Center and Island Heat Tanning salon.  The tanning salon was one of my favorite jobs.  Probably because I liked the people I worked with.  There were a number of locations and I got to work at most of them.  At all of these jobs I worked my way up to Shift Leader/Key Holder/Responsible Person.  Managers saw me as a hard worker and very trustworthy.  What can I say... :)


1 comment:

By George said...

Gadzooks! My first job was at "The Rag Shop" - a fabric and craft store with possibly the worst name in retail (ok Dress Barn is the worst...but still!)