Monday, July 30, 2012

a pretty great motivator

I'm motivated to run by a lot of factors:  health, weight maintenance, to look good in spandex ;) , a clear mind, the after-the-run feeling.  Sometimes I'm motivated to run faster on certain runs:  running with someone who's faster, not wanting to let someone pass me, dog chasing me, chocolate milk at the finish!    Just the other day, I encountered a new reason to run faster:  a thunderstorm, complete with bolts of lightning, heading my way.

I knew there was the possibility of thunderstorms but the sky didn't look too bad when I headed out for a 3.6mi wog (combo walk/jog) with the dog.  We got back to the house, I dropped her off and set out for 4mi on my own.  The sky was looking a little more ominous than before but didn't seem too threatening yet. 

About 1.5mi in, I heard some thunder rumbling.  As I got to the turnaround point, I saw bolts of lightning in the distance and rain had begun to fall.  By the time I got back to the house, there were lots more rumbles of thunder.  Thankfully, before the storm was overhead I was back inside, safely away from the lightening.

Chalk up another motivator for running faster:  a thunderstorm.

No comments: