Tuesday, June 5, 2012

like someone's chasing you

There are some really awesome signs people bring to cheer on runners at long races.  In fact there is a website dedicated to such signs

Some of my favorites are:
and one that I used in my recent long run:
  • run like the police are chasing you!
On Sunday, despite the gloomy weather, I went out for a long run.  I wanted to get at least 8mi in, but when it started raining 2mi into my run I considered shortening the distance by a lot.  However, the rain didn't last long so I carried on.  I determined to run 2x around Lake Quannapowitt and that should get me close to 9mi.  I didn't realize that I actually ran 10mi until I got home and mapped it out.  Wahoo!

The first time around, on the pretty side, I encountered a guy who decided to pass me.  I could tell he just didn't want to get beat by a girl (because I had previously passed him).  I noticed that as soon as he passed me, he started slowing down again.  So, I remained calm and carried on, all the while catching up to him and eventually passing him.  I continued to hear him behind me but I wasn't going to let him pass me again so I picked up the pace until I dropped him.  Felt pretty good about that....

The second time around (also on the pretty side), I encountered a couple running together.  I had stopped to get a drink at the water fountain as they breezed past me.  Judging their pace, I knew I could catch them and keep pace with them.  However, once I caught them, I realized I could pass them.  So I did...and I heard the guy then try to keep pace with me!  I didn't want to let him pass me so for the next mile or so, I sped up and kept him just behind me.  Just before I turned to head home, I stopped at another water fountain and let him run past. 

I literally had people chasing me, trying to catch and pass me.  It wasn't a race, but it was certainly great motivation for kicking up my pace a notch!  I ended up with 10miles at a 9:05min/mi pace.  What the what?!  Can't say I've ever run that far, that fast!  Thank goodness for people chasing me...

This coming Sunday is half marathon #2 in the 12 in 12 goal.  I'll be heading down to Seekonk, MA for the Castle Awards Half.  Should be interesting - the current weather forecast is 82 and sunny.  Another hot one!

No comments: