Wednesday, June 6, 2012

not a food blog

This blog has always (usually) been about running and it will continue to be so.  However, I made brussel  sprouts for the first time last night.  And they were good!  They get such a bad rap...but the truth is, they are tasty, easy to make, and really good for you.  The nutritional content of these vegetables is very high; to find out more check out this website.

While I've always known that they were good for me, I've shied away from making them because I was afraid I'd mess them up and consequently, not like them.  So, I surprised myself while walking through Target (of all places!), by picking up a bag.  Last night seemed like a good night to saute them with some onions, garlic, grape tomatoes, and pasta.  I seasoned all of this with some red pepper flakes (I love spicy food), salt, and black pepper.

I found that making brussel sprouts is surprisingly easy.  If I can do it, anyone can do it.  I promise.  Here's what I did:

First, trim the ends off then cut the cute little guys in half.


Drop them in a pan of hot olive oil along with some salt and pepper, toss and reduce heat to medium.  I covered them for about 6min, occasionally flipping them around in the oil.


After about 6min or so, I added some garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes.  Covered it again while my pasta finished cooking, another 3-4min.  Once the pasta was done, I tossed the pasta and grape tomatoes in with it.  Below is the finished product.  I finished it off with some parmesan cheese.  Deeelish!


Up close and personal:


4 comments:

grandma dek said...

Your talents continue to amaze! Looks yummy! HAve a great day.mingIn

Anonymous said...

That looks delish! Maybe I will branch out and try it. I literally don't think I have ever had one in my life! Sad but true! haha -Sus

Megs said...

One of my favorite veggies. This looks like a great way to prepare them. They also hold up really well when roasted with root vegetables just through them in about 20 minutes into roasting.

Debbie Hattery said...

Yummy!!