Wednesday, August 29, 2012

did you know?

I know I have mentioned this, but I haven't really promoted it.  But I think I'm going to start.  Feel no pressure by this promotion.  But if you feel led to contribute to the cause, I thank you immensely.

I'm talking about The St. Jude Marathon that I'm running in December.  I signed up to be a St. Jude Hero simply because it was only $25 more expensive and I think what the folks at St. Jude do is nothing short of amazing.  Their mission statement is this: 

The mission of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is to advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Consistent with the vision of our founder Danny Thomas, no child is denied treatment based on race, religion or a family's ability to pay.

Here are some quick facts about St. Jude (find more facts by clicking on the link):
  • St. Jude has treated children from all 50 states and from around the world.
  • On average, 7,800 active patients visit the hospital each year, most of whom are treated on an outpatient basis.
  • No family ever pays St. Jude for anything.
  • The daily operating cost for St. Jude is $1.8 million, which is primarily covered by public contributions.During the past five years, 81 cents of every dollar received has supported the research and treatment at St. Jude.
  • St. Jude has 78 inpatient beds and treats upwards of 260 patients each day

What I find the most amazing about what St. Jude does is that it does not turn any family away.  Everyone who seeks help and treatment is accepted - no matter what.  Incredible.  You can find out so much more information about what they do by visiting the website.

If you'd like to donate to my fundraising efforts, click here.

No comments: