Tuesday, August 28, 2012

still not a food blog

A couple of months ago, I posted a quick dinner involving Brussel sprouts - my first attempt at cooking them.  I was quite pleased with the result and gained some motivation (and courage) to try more new things.

This weekend, I realized how much fresh stuff I had in my refrigerator.  I knew I had to use it up quickly so I thought, why not try making some of those new things. 

Saturday, I made fresh pesto, chicken, tomato pizza on a whole wheat crust (crust was from Market Basket and it was good!).  This was easy and SO good.  It will be happening a lot more.


Sunday, I tried my hand at chicken and rice soup, minus the chicken.  It turned out okay...the rice didn't cook as thoroughly as I'd have liked.  It takes a lot longer for brown rice to cook, apparently.  I froze half of the batch. 

Sunday evening, I wanted a little snack.  So I threw two tomatoes and one very hot jalapeno pepper from my friend's garden into my food processor with some minced garlic and diced onion.  What I got was a very spicy, very fresh salsa!  I spread some cheese and frozen corn on corn tortilla chips and baked them until the cheese was melty and gooey.  Combined with the salsa, YUM!

No comments: