Tuesday, October 23, 2012

once, twice, three times

Here's the thing about how I train for races:  I don't do the fancy stuff.  The tempo runs, the track workouts, the speed stuff.  I just don't do it...  I run (and run and run and run).  There is one type of workout that we're always told to do that I especially shy away from - the hill repeats. 

Just saying it gives me shivers up my spine.  Running up a challenging hill and knowing you have to do that again and again.  I typically avoid this at all costs.  Sure, I'll throw in a hill every now and again.  I try to get at least one good one on every run, especially on the long runs.  Yesterday, though, I got it in my head that since it was so nice out I would do a few hill repeats on The Hill.  If you're familiar with Wakefield, it's Prospect St, just over the railroad tracks heading up toward Stoneham.  It's one of my least favorite hills to run but once in a while I get the urge to conquer it.  That's what happened last night.

The first time:

For me, the first slow slog up the hill is the worst.  I didn't feel good yet, I wasn't in the groove.  In fact, halfway up I said to myself, "There is no way I am doing this two more times.  No.  Way."  But when I made it to the top, I felt better and resolved to make it up at least once more.

The second time:
Not nearly as bad as the first.  I felt stronger and, except for pausing to take the picture, put my head down and drove myself up this bad boy.  I realize from these pictures that you don't get a good grasp on the severity of this hill.  Let me put it this way:  When my previous car was on it's way to death, I avoided this hill at all costs because I didn't think it could actually make it all the way up.  It's long and steep, where the white house is, it curves around and inclines more.

The third and final time:

This was the best time.  I felt super strong and invincible!  I powered my way up with my head up and determination in my mind.  This hill ain't nothin'.  In fact, I lapped a woman walking up on the other side of the street.  She was just beginning the hill on my second time around and when I reached the top of the hill the third time, she had just reached the intersection where I turned off.  Now, tell me that wouldn't make you feel like a beast while doing hill repeats! 

The reward:

Each loop included a nice long downhill as a reward for climbing up hill.  I savored the downhills and ran as fast as I dared, keeping in mind my ITBS prone right side. 

As I was making my way back home, I realized I had a bit more time to spend out on the roads.  I really made the most of it I had by tacking on just one more little hill.  This one is in my typical route.  Why not throw in another hill?!
It was an extremely pleasant fall run - perfect temps, perfect time of day.  I made it home just in time to whip up some chicken sausage, sauteed with red and green peppers and onions over quinoa for dinner before spending time catching up with friends.  And I now have a new appreciation for hill workouts.  The other fancy stuff can wait...for now. 

1 comment:

Erin said...

You not only ran the hill you made yourself a real dinner. Well done, well done!