Thursday, November 1, 2012

the club

Well, I was pulled over today.  Directly in front of my house.  No lie...I turned the corner to pull into my driveway and the cop that was following me turned on his lights at that same moment.

As he strolled up to my window, we made eye contact in the mirror and since I knew why he was pulling me over, I was smirking just a bit.  He told me my inspection sticker was over due and could he please see my license and registration.  I handed them over and he said, "Do you still live at this address?"  "Yes, literally right there."  Then he smiled at me and said, "So, you're a marathon runner?  Me, too.  I've run a few."  After he said this, he handed back my license and registration without even running them through the system.

What got me out of the ticket (or whatever he might have given me) was my 26.2 sticker on the back of my car.  At times I've considered taking it off because it seems a bit boastful.  I haven't because it reminds me, every time I look at the back of my car, that I can run a marathon!  (It still blows my mind sometimes...)

Boy, I'm glad I haven't taken it off...Marathon Cop might have given me a ticket if he didn't know I belonged to the same Marathon Club that he does.

2 comments:

grandma dek said...

WHo-hoo Angela. A real perk of all those grueling hours of running! Cute story.

Anonymous said...

There are few (normal, boring) things that so blatantly call to mind unmerited grace as being let off the hook for a ticket you know you deserved! ...not that this happened to me... a couple days before my wedding or anything...
But for many, many reasons-- keep the sticker!