Monday, May 6, 2013

good, fun, hard, tiring, and beautiful

Well, how was it?!  I've been asked this question a number of times since I came home from the marathon, and this is not an easy question to answer!  I could give you a variety of responses and, if you care to or have time, I could explain each response.  I'd say it was good, fun, hard, tiring, and beautiful.

It was good - Overall, I had a really good experience at this race.  Pretty much everything could be described as "good."  The expo, the course, the crowd, the spectators, the finish line.  It was all just good.

It was fun - I ran nearly the whole thing with my brother!  We saw our parents at mile 7, mile 20, and at the finish line.  That was fun!

It was hard - I was feeling great until mile 23.  There was a significantly steep hill I'm not ashamed to admit I walked up.  I finished the last three miles run-walking.  More running than walking, but still...

It was tiring - Sleeping on an air mattress two nights leading up to a marathon and two nights after a marathon is not ideal.  It's fine...but not great.  I survived, obviously but by the end of my time in Louisville, I was tired!

It was beautiful - Louisville is an old city.  Not nearly as old as Boston, we have much rich history here.  But it's pretty old.  In fact, we ran through (twice) Old Louisville.  Lots of big beautiful houses that have now been turned into apartments.  We ran through Iroqouis Park.  We ran through Churchill Downs.
  
I am glad that I had the chance to run the full marathon in Louisville.  I'm glad I had the chance to run with my brother for his first (only?) marathon.  I'm glad my parents were able to be there.  Oh, I'm also glad it didn't rain.  :)

Finishers!  Teresa, Mike, me, Ben (brother)




No comments: