Wednesday, May 22, 2013

have i mentioned...

Soooo, I'm running a half marathon on Sunday.  I haven't trained for it.  In fact, I haven't even run more than 5mi/week in the three weeks since Louisville.

I signed up for this because I do it every year.  I have friends who run it.  It's a nice run through Boston.  And it's a great addition to my Memorial Day weekend.

But this year, I am absolutely not ready.  I'm not looking for any kind of PR (personal record) or anything, I'm simply looking to enjoy the day and the race.  I have this mindset for a lot of my races so I think it's pretty attainable.  There are only a few times in the past year that I've actually tried to set a new PR.

The Run to Remember always happens on the Sunday before Memorial Day.  There's the option to run 5mi or 13.1mi.  I've never run the 5mi race...I'm sure it's just as nice as the half.  The course takes us from the Seaport, through Government Center area, over the Longfellow Bridge to Memorial Drive in Cambridge.  We stay on Mem Dr for about 4mi, turn around and run back toward the bridge.  After a short distance on Charles St., we head for the Financial District, and finally back to the Seaport.

This is what the race is all about, taken from the website:
The Boston's Run to Remember has always been a tribute to law enforcement officers who have been killed in the line of duty over the years.  It is produced by a handful of police officers and detectives, who volunteer their time to produce the race.

The race hold a bit of special meaning to me, as it was the very first half marathon I ever ran...way back in 2007.  Six years later, I'm proud to say I'm still running!

No comments: