Thursday, May 23, 2013

spirit of the marathon

Have you ever considered running a marathon?  Or is it something that you think you could never do?  Maybe you'd like to but you're too nervous to actually run 26.2mi.  Perhaps you think the amount of training is just too much for a thing that's over in less than 5hrs (or more!).

I had my doubts when I started training for Chicago in 2009.  That was my very first marathon and there were MANY times during my training when I thought, "What have I gotten myself into..."  It was hard, the long runs were lonely and difficult.  I second guessed my decision often.

Then I watched this movie:  Spirit of the Marathon (thanks to Meg for bringing it to my attention!).  It's a 90min film that follows 7 runners training for the Chicago Marathon.  How lucky for me!  I watched this about halfway through my training, then again about a month before the marathon.  Talk about inspirational!  All seven runners were at different levels and had different reasons for running.  All of them were awesome.  If you like personal triumph stories of any kind, watch this movie.  (It's a "watch instantly" movie on Netflix.)


Well, now there is another Spirit of the Marathon.  This one is in Rome.  Again, it follows 7 runners at different levels, running for different things.  I cannot wait to watch it!  This is my favorite quote from the trailer (because it's so true in my life):  "It's the journey that's probably the most significant, and it changes people's lives."


If you have been thinking about running a marathon but insist that you just couldn't do it, I offer you one bit of advice:  Watch these films.  You will realize that you CAN do it, and I think you should. Am I not-so-subtly trying to get all of you to eventually run a marathon?  Yes, but not just that! I am trying to get you to try to do something you previously didn't think you could.  If it happens to be a marathon...  :)

No comments: