Tuesday, May 28, 2013

17, 4, and 14

What a great Memorial Day weekend!  Even though the weather was somewhat crummy, I ended up having lots of fun plans with fun people!

On Friday I went to a wedding out in Harvard, MA.  So much fun and a beautiful setting. 

Saturday, a brave friend and I went into the city to get my bib/swag for Sunday's race.  It was a cool misty day and we made the most of it by grabbing lunch in the South End, taking the T to the Science Museum, seeing the Dead Sea Scrolls, enjoying an Omni movie about coral reefs, and walking back to the T in the rain.  :)

.5mi to the finish!!
Sunday was race day, so I was up by 4:45am.  Whoa.  It was super cool and misty but my friends and I protected ourselves with garbage bags until the race began.  I'd never done that before...It totally kept me dry and warm!  Towards the end of the race, the sun started coming out and despite still being chilly, it turned out to be a great afternoon.  Of course, after getting up so early, I spent much of the afternoon napping... 

One thing I must mention about this race is that it is a tribute to law enforcement officials, organized by law enforcement officials.  So this race was dedicated not only to those who have fallen in the line of duty but especially to Sean Collier, the MIT cop who was killed by the Boston Bombers a little over a month ago. 

The course takes runners to the edge of the MIT campus and there, lined up along the road with plenty of high-fives and encouragement for the runners, were about 25 policemen standing near their cruisers.  It meant a lot to them for us to run for their colleagues and it means a lot to us runners that they are out there every day protecting our cities and towns.  I may have gotten a little misty eyed...

Perhaps you're wondering what the numbers are for in the title of this post.  The Run to Remember on Sunday was my 17th official HM, the 4th time I've run this particular race, and the end of my 12 in 12 goal! 

(Here's how I got to 14:  One per month for May, June, July, Aug, Sept (25K), Nov, March, and May.  Two per month in Oct.  Zero per month for Jan and Feb (cancelled due to snow!).  Marathons in Dec and April.  Soooo, if we break the marathons in half, add in the extra in Oct, and take into account Jan and Feb...that equals 14 in the last 13 months!  12 in 12 was definitely accomplished!)

Monday, I headed to the Blue Hills to hike with a few new friends.  It wasn't long or super intense...it was just what we needed.  And the weather totally cooperated - 70's and bright sunshine! 

I hope you ended up with a great, long weekend as well!!

No comments: