Monday, June 3, 2013

heatwave

This weekend, the Northeast was treated to three days of 90+ degrees!  I'm not complaining, I love the heat.  But it does make for slower runs, at least for this girl.  On Friday, I wanted to get about 3-4mi in and a friend said she'd run with me.  Great!  However, by the time we could get together, it was about 95deg.  We called it, got iced coffees and went for a 3mi walk instead.

Saturday, I got up early (although, not early enough) and headed out for 10mi.  I left the house by 8am and it was already roasting!  Somehow I made it the whole 10mi, slowly but completely.  On Sunday, I knew if I was going to get any kind of running in, I was going to have to get myself out the door by 6:30am.  And that's just what I did.  It was still pretty warm and I was really tired so it was a horrible 4mi.  (I also wore shorts...I hate wearing shorts so I know that contributed to my feelings on this run.)

Running in the heat is hard.  But it's do-able...just pay attention to your body and stop if you need to!  For my run on Saturday, I made sure to stay at the lake where there are water fountains every mile or so.  I not only drank from the fountains, but was sure to drench my head and face each time to cool off.  When I got home, I took a cool shower and continued to drink lots of cold fluids - including some nuun!  I was planning to go up to the beach that day, but with the later start, I thought twice and hung around home.  I'm glad I did...even sitting on my porch in the shade, I was roasting!  So, I hit up the nearest Redbox and Chipotle and had a lively, happenin' Saturday night.  :) 

No comments: