Wednesday, August 28, 2013

smmmmmmoothies!

I once had an Odwalla protein drink and it was the most horrible thing I'd tasted in a long time and that turned me off to any kind of protein drink I ever encountered - super thick and chalky.  However, for a while now, I've been very curious about protein powder. Everyone is drinking it and I have been interested in getting on that train.

So last night I headed to Macy's to pick up a Magic Bullet (quick note: Macy's will price match, I got the bullet for $30 less than it rang up for!).  It's a snappy little blender that blends your smoothie, shake, what-have-you in the cup you drink it out of - which makes clean up so easy!!  Anyway, I also stopped by Market Basket to pick up some frozen fruit, chocolate protein powder (yum!), and milk.

When I returned home I threw together some frozen raspberries, a whole avocado, some orange juice, vanilla powder, and water - kablammy, this:

Maybe it looks a little gross, but trust me: so good. And so filling!  Perfect for a quick on-the-go dinner (or, in my case last night, watching-tv-while-doing-laundry dinner). The avocado added some incredible smoothy-ness and the raspberries gave it a sweet flavor, while the OJ added just the right amount of tartness.  I will be making this again (and again and again...)!

This morning, post-Insanity Cardio Recovery workout, I threw together a scoop of chocolate protein powder, a whole banana, a cup of milk and a tablespoon of peanut butter.  Whoa yum! And so filling! I had this at 7am and as I write this at 11am, I'm not super hungry - usually if I eat cereal or a whole wheat english muffin, by now I feel like I could gnaw my arm off.  Protein power smoothies work!

I'm glad I finally got over the fact that I *might* hate protein drinks!  I have been missing out for far too long. This is also a really great option for a quick nutritious snack/meal for after work at REI - It's surprising how hungry I am at 9:30pm.  If you have a favorite smoothie recipe, leave it below in the comments!  I'm looking to expand my repertoire!

No comments: