Monday, April 27, 2009

what i don't think about

I finally got a run in around the lake today!  It's been a long time since I've done that because the Minuteman Path is just so easy to use and (as I've mentioned before) I just love the mile markers!  It was a perfect day to run the lake, not too hot and not too breezy.  My knee felt okay for the first mile or two but after that it seemed to loosen up and not give me trouble.  Let's hope and pray it continues to not give me too much trouble!!  Oh, for the record, the lake loop is 4.5miles.

I sometimes randomly realize just how much I enjoy running.  And how much I like to run alone.  At the end of a long day.  I have about an hour when I just shut my mind off.  I don't think about the craziness at work or the list of groceries I have to buy or the pile of laundry I've been meaning to fold for the past week.  I just run.  I enjoy the sun and the trees and the flowers and the steady thud of my shoes hitting the pavement.  I don't have anyone to impress.  I don't have anyone to judge me.  It's just me.  And the miles that lay before me.  

Today was one of those days.  It was kind of a rough day at work and I couldn't wait to put on my running shoes and head out the door.  And blissfully turn my mind off.  Yeah, sure I still thought about things, like how the buds on the trees are slowly turning into leaves, how one stream joins up with the other, how the steeples of the churches in town look against the sky, how the sun glistens off the water.  But I didn't think about how much life is going to change in the coming months, how busy this summer will be, how much I will miss two great friends and a mentor, how hard it will be to say goodbye, how difficult it will be to not see two beautiful girls each week.  How thankful I am for new growth and opportunities yet how hard it is to change....

I don't have any closing thoughts on this yet.  It will come, but right now, it's still too fresh.  It will probably come when I am running.  In the warm sunshine.  Alone.  Just the way I like it.  :)


No comments: