Wednesday, February 10, 2010

quick update

A quick post to update my previous post. I neglected to tell you, dear readers, about Monday night's experience at the gym. I stepped on the treadmill (once one was free...and rebooted) and ran 4mi with NO SHIN PAIN!!!! On the TREADMILL!!! As you can tell, this is very exciting news. It must have been simply staying off the thing for over a week that was the trick to healing the shin splints. Here's praying they're gone for good!

Last night was a 12miler and boy, was it rough! When I began it was 40 deg. The first lap around the lake was great, uneventful. The second lap was a bit harder and I tried to mentally prepare myself for "just one more time around." The third lap was rough. I was exhausted, it was cold - the temp fell 10 deg and with me being a sweat monster, I was wet and that made me even colder. I struggled through it, even walking a few times and ended up with 11.71mi in 1:56:45, just under 10/min miles. I do believe that part of the problem was that I did not eat well at all yesterday. I hardly had any protein all day and just didn't eat a whole lot. So, by the time I got home, not only could I not move my hands (they felt just like they did when I finished the marathon...it was weird), but my stomach was very upset and queasy.

I felt much better after a hot shower and a good dinner and a big glass of milk. No miles scheduled for today, instead a giant snowstorm is supposedly heading our way. Tomorrow I'll try to get 5 or 6 in at the gym in preparation for Saturday's 10miler with a friend. Big mileage week!

1 comment:

By George said...

Wahoooo! No shin pain (on the treadmill).

Girl - eat some protein before you run half of a marathon! :)

xoxo