Tuesday, April 26, 2011

accountability makes the treadmill go 'round

The weather forecast that I read yesterday morning must have been wrong.  Turns out, after work is was merely cloudy and 60deg.  Perfect for a run outdoors...unfortunately, I packed for the gym and made plans to meet friends there.  I didn't want to just bail...so we went to the gym.  Today I packed for the gym AND for outside!  I'm learning...

I'm sure I've mentioned before the temperature in my gym.  If I haven't, it's this:  HOT.  My friend and I spent an hour on our respective treadmills and let me tell you, when we finished it wasn't pretty.  But, we finished despite feeling a bit queasy and ridiculously sweaty!  I did not feel like making it all the way to the end of my hour.  I felt like at 40min I could easily have finished and been happy with that.  But, plugging along on the machine next to me my friend breathlessly said, "I know you can do it!  Keep going, only 20 more minutes!!"  I responded, "UUUUGGH!"  See, accountability (and encouragement...).

I got 6.26mi in even though I told you I was going to run 12.  See, a couple weeks ago I wrote about what I do when I'm not running.  Another friend met us at the gym and said, "Hey why don't you come over for dinner!"  Well, I thought to myself, I can spend another hour on an elliptical (and continue to sweat my face off) OR I can go have dinner with two really good friends.  I think you know what I chose.  And it was good and more accountability runs were planned.  I can't wait.  :)

No comments: