Tuesday, November 8, 2011

i'm getting older, too

Sunday was a fabulous day!  And so were the days leading up to it.  I turned 32 years old and celebrated with amazing friends on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I ate way too much and enjoyed some really amazing desserts.  Really amazing. 

Saturday was also the day that I needed to finish up my running goal for the week:  32miles for 32 years.  I headed out for a long run with my roommate.  I mapped out my Melrose loop and made sure I could get 10mi or so out of it.  It was a gorgeous day for a run!  Sunny, 50, light breeze.  When I got back home and plugged my run into my running log (dailymile.com), turns out I had run a total of 36.44mi for the week!  More than 4mi over my goal.  Hooray! 

All in all, it was an awesome weekend; and one in which I felt very loved and appreciated.  On Sunday my phone was blowing up with all the Facebook posts and text messages from friends and family.  I just love my birthday for that very reason.  :)

Over the past 3yrs or so, I've really come to terms with getting older.  In my teens I wanted to get older so I could do the fun stuff (drive, vote, not have to listen to my parents, etc.) and I figured that when you were older life would just be better.  In my twenties, I was freaked out about it because my life was not on the track I thought it should be on and the older I got, the more off track I was!  Now in my thirties, I've realized that I don't have to be on a certain track, the fun stuff isn't always so fun and that I don't necessarily need to have such control over the direction of my life but instead be open to wherever God is leading me.  I also struggled a lot with liking myself...I was too ugly, too stupid, too fat, too fill-in-the-blank.  I've come to realize over time that I'm pretty cool and I like myself very much!  I'm not ugly, I'm made in the image of the King!  I'm not stupid, I use big words and read lots of books!  :)  I'm not fat, I am strong and have a tremendous amount of endurance and determination! 

So while I am getting older, I'm also getting more comfortable with who I am and with what I am.  And that's a pretty cool gift. 

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Beautiful, amazing, fabulous, caring, loving, FUNNY, fun-loving, inspiring, feisty, sweet Angela! Happy Birthday to us!! Love you so much girl! PS: I will NOT run my age in miles unless I flip the numbers...yes. I can do 14 this week. LOL.

Carol Hochhalter said...

not to mention that you are a great role model and encouragement for your OLDER cousin! Love you!
(got my mile in today...)