Monday, July 16, 2012

race recap #3

I use the term "race" here loosely.  It wasn't so much about being a race than being a distance run.  It was technically my July Half Marathon - #3 in the 12 in 12 goal.  But it wasn't officially a race. 

I planned to run four laps of Lake Quannapowitt, soliciting my runner friends to join me, lest I get too bored with the same view and give up.  So after a typical race day breakfast of a bagel with pb and some coffee, I headed over to meet up with the first round of runners.

Megan, Trevor, and Malia ran with me the first lap and it went great.  We started out on the second lap all together and dropped Megan and Trevor halfway around.  Malia stuck with me for 6.6mi, two laps around and just over halfway. 

I picked up Lis and Maggie for the third lap, which was slower than the first two as the humidity was getting to me.  I had my Gu two thirds of the way around on the third lap.  By the time we made it over to the meeting spot and I had just one lap to go, I was exhausted.  (Perhaps the Five Guys I had for late lunch/early dinner the night before didn't help.)

With one lap left, I headed off on my own with the encouragement from my friends ringing in my ears.  It was not fun, I walked quite a bit.  It was frustrating...but I made it to the end with a time of 2:18:32.  Not the worst, not the best.

After the run, my friends and I hung out at my place for second breakfast:  smoothies, bagels, potato/zucchini pancakes, fruit, and delicious coffee.  Here's a pic of my support crew after our yummy breakfast:

Me, Malia, Maggie, Lis, Megan and Trevor

1 comment:

grandma dek said...

Perseverance leads to endurance and there's no short cuts! It's Biblical. Great job gutting it out. The heat is oppressive already at 10AM. Wausau inaugural marathon in August????