Friday, July 13, 2012

flashback friday #8

There was nothing more awkward than freshman year of high school.  Nothing.  This was the year that, after having been at the same school building for 8 long years, I had to go to a new place. 

I was experimenting with makeup (as evidenced by the picture).  My hair was a mess...did I not know what a blow dryer was?  And I finally had braces that obviously didn't work.  I was shy, quiet, and just average enough to fly under the radar.  I didn't do homework, watched a lot of TV and hated the way I looked.

It's quite a thing to look back at who I was.  And to see where I've come.  I complain a lot about these pictures (except for the first one...dang, I was cute!) but I don't think I'd trade them for anything.  Being the person you see here helped me become the person who is writing this blog.  I am confident in who I am now to show you who I used to be. 

I've had a lot of people say, "I would NEVER - N.E.V.E.R. - show my school pictures."  And that's fine...but for me it feels freeing.  We all know that these years were the ugly years.  Let's embrace it, laugh at it, and marvel at the fact that God never gave up on us and we're pretty stinkin' awesome people now. 

The me that is in these photos could not have done what today's me can do.  I am stronger now because of the girl I was.  It never fails to humble me and amaze me that God doesn't give up on us.  Thank the Lord for that...I wouldn't have wanted Him to give up on me 9th grade.  Eeep.

1 comment:

grandma dek said...

So many times we say "this too shall pass" and no one believes it. That's the tradgedy of teen suicide and eating disorders and the like. We think how I feel now is accurate and that it will never change-but as Christians we are always to be in process-moving toward Christ-likeness and finding our purpose-serving God and giving Him glory, in that. It is not what we do but who we are! You are one awesome lady-keep loving those jr highers. Aunt D