Saturday, August 4, 2012

a fever

I have a fever...Olympic fever.  There is something about the games that sucks me in, makes me feel incredibly patriotic, and once in a while, brings me to tears.  I will watch anything that is on - just this morning I watched an entire match of tennis - but I do have my favorites.

Yes, I have enjoyed the swimming and the gymnastics.  Phelps, Franklin, Lochte, Gabby, Aly, Jordan...they are phenomenal athletes and a joy to watch.  But my favorite events are beach volleyball (I'm soooooo rooting for Walsh Jennings/May-Treanor!) and Track and Field - especially the running, no matter the distance.

Just today, the men's 10,000meter race was on (I just *happened* to be watching...) and I found myself jumping up and down cheering for two favorites:  Galen Rupp (Team USA) and Mo Farah (Team GB).  It was a physical, tough, intense race but at the very end Mo took gold, Galen took silver!!!!  This is incredible for many reasons, one of them being that GB has never had a medal in this distance - ever!  And USA hasn't had a medal in this distance since 1964!  So crazy.

What gets me the most is seeing the sheer joy, and sometimes shock, on the faces of the athletes.  The fact that they made it to the Olympics is one thing; but the fact that they MEDALED in the Olympics is quite another.  So much emotion...  Yes, I was crying at the finish of the 10,000meter race.  I just could not help myself.

Another confession:  beach volleyball was on at the same time as the race...so I watched both.  At the same time.  I'm so sick.  ;)


Women's Marathon in the morning.  Go Team USA - Shalane Flanagan, Kara Goucher, Desi Davilla!!

No comments: