Tuesday, August 7, 2012

unprepared

I don't know if I've ever felt more unprepared for a race than I do for this one.  This one being HM #4 coming up in three days.  Just three days.  Perhaps there was one other race where I felt less prepared for than this one.  It was the Run to Remember on Memorial Day weekend in 2011.  I had run about 20mi in three weeks leading up to race day.  But to be fair, I had just finished the Kalamazoo Marathon less than a month prior to the RTR.  I have no such excuse for under-preparing for HM #4.

As I mentioned before, it's a challenging course and I just haven't been training the way I should be.  I've been dealing with some weird aches and pains: ankle, side, hip - all on my right side.  In order to help get over these I haven't been running as much.  Not to mention we've had days and days of thick, dense humidity.  It's hard to walk in such heat let alone run a long distance.  I ran 10mi on Saturday and it was literally The Worst Run I've had in a really long time.  September (my favorite month) cannot come soon enough.  Yeah, I said it.  

Back to the race at hand, I can do it, and I will do it but it won't be pretty.  Here's a map of the course for your reference:

1/2 marathon nh

Once I'm done, there will be a great reward:  Kimball Farm ice cream.  It is literally .5mi away from the finish line.  Have I mentioned before how much I love ice cream?  :) 


1 comment:

Carol Hochhalter said...

It may not be pretty, but keep in mind the fact that DONE is a BEAUTIFUL thing! Thinking of you this weekend!!