Saturday, August 25, 2012

they're lying

I love a good crowd lining the streets of a race.  I love encouraging volunteers.  I love reading funny signs along the way.  What I don't love is when all of the above straight up lie to you.  Oh, they don't mean to lie and they are genuinely trying to be encouraging.  But sometimes...

Let's say you're at mile 8 of a half marathon.  The last thing you want to hear is, "You're almost there!!!"  Because, no. No, you are not almost there.  You still have 5 miles to go.

Let's say you're at mile 18 of a marathon.  Someone yells, "You look great!!"  Really?!  Really?  Because I thought I was a sweaty, sloppy, wet mess.  But if you say I look great...well, then.

Let's say you're at mile 9 of a hilly half marathon.  From the sidelines, you hear "It's all downhill from here!"  Next thing you know, you're faced with at least 4 more significant inclines in the remaining 4 miles.  Um...

So if you're spectating a race, what do runners want to hear?  Try things that are encouraging but not bold faced lies.  :)  Things like:
  • You are awesome! (note:  this is very different from "You look awesome.")
  • Keep going!
  • Don't give up!
  • There's beer at the finish!
  • You're doing great!  (Although, if someone is walking during a race, they might not want to hear this...)
After my year of running half marathons, I'd like to sign up to volunteer at local races to get a feel for what it's like on the other side.  It could be harder than I think to encourage without lying...

2 comments:

Carol Hochhalter said...

Good job! Way to go! Keep it up! You're doing great! Woohoo! Good job, good job!!
(How to cheer for runners without lying!)

Anonymous said...

Although this may not apply to everyone running, I always am encouraged by the comments that remind me of my training... like "You're ready for this" or "You trained for this" or even things like "You deserve to be here/ worked hard to be here/ you've got this".

I also really, really love the signs that say "Remember when 10 miles was a long run?" OK- I don't run fulls, but maybe I think "Remember when 5 was a long run?" Again with the "how far you've come" motif.