Monday, January 14, 2013

a friendly psa

I am a road runner.  What I mean by that is I don't typically run on trails or many places where there are not drivers zooming past me as I pound the pavement.  I run against traffic.  I run on sidewalks whenever I can and they are at least halfway decently maintained.  I wear bright, reflective clothing - even in the daytime.  I am sure to look drivers in the eye to get their attention before I begin crossing in front of them. 

Even with all this precaution, I still worry that someday it is very possible that I may be hit by a driver not paying attention.  Truth is, there are a number of times when I nearly have been.  I had an overwhelming sense of worry yesterday as I was doing my 10miler.  I was running on a sidewalk, against traffic, but the sidewalk was right against the road, there was no little grass-patch buffer.  I started imagining a minivan (in my imaginings its always either a minivan or SUV...) coming around the corner and jumping the curb and running me down.  (Full disclosure:  I'm a catasrophizer - I imagine the worst in situations, probably in part why I don't like to fly...)  I started to imagine how I would react, could I jump to the side fast enough to get out of the way?  What would I do if they did in fact hit me? 

I realize this is incredibly morbid and most people don't think this way...but I've read a few stories recently about drivers not paying attention and hitting runners/walkers/cyclists.  One described a woman running on the correct side of the road (facing traffic) and being hit from behind - in this case the driver hadn't sufficiently cleared off their windshield of frost. 

So I ask those of you who drive to please put down your cell phones, check your email/text/facebook/instagram when you are no longer behind the wheel and keep your eyes open for those of us who you share the road with.  I promise to do the same when I drive.  I'll get off my soapbox now...Thanks for listening and putting down your phone.  :)

No comments: