Tuesday, January 22, 2013

good news, bad news

In the last post I mentioned I'd be attempting to run a half marathon on a treadmill while at the retreat I attended this weekend.  Well, did I do it?  I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news:  I did run 13.1mi (plus a bit more) this weekend!
The bad news:  I didn't do it all on the treadmill...or all at once.

While I had every intention, I realized once I arrived at the gym in the hotel that it is also an actual gym facility...not just for hotel guests.  Which means it shut off at 60min and since there were others waiting for the 'mill I decided it would be incredibly selfish to use it for another hour.  So, I only ran a little over 6mi while on the retreat.  Not bad, but not what I wanted either.

In the hopes of running at least 13.1mi over the span of the weekend, I set out for 7.1mi yesterday.  It was cold (24deg plus windchill) but I'm happy to report, I ended up with 7.73mi for the day.  I wasn't feeling super great for some reason (I think I haven't been drinking enough water these days), I kept going and was pleased with the distance.

You may be wondering how this affects the 12 in 12 goal.  Here's the thing:  it doesn't.  While I'd hoped to run ONE half each month, I've run more than that!  You recall in October when I ran 2 halves in 2 days.  And you'll remember in December when I ran a full marathon.  Also, I have a marathon planned for April and two more halves in May.  By my math that is far more than 12 in 12...it's more like 16 in 12 (if you count each half of each marathon).  I will happily allow one of my other bonus halves count for January, thank you very much!

Have you ever had to amend a goal? 

No comments: