Monday, January 28, 2013

mixing things up

It has been SO cold.  So cold that I have been trying to come up with other workouts or just getting to the gym so that I don't have to run outside in the wind and freezing, freeeeezing temps.  I'll be the first to admit that I'm not tough when it comes to being cold.  I'm a giant wimp.

All that being said, I still had a 15mi run looming over me on Saturday.  A friend was going to join me for 5mi of it, but as we started out, getting just .25mi down the street...we just couldn't do it!  The wind was cutting through my layers and felt like pins and needles on my cheeks.  We decided to just go to the gym.  It was not a hard decision.

So how does one tackle 15mi at the gym and stay sane?  Well, for me it included 5.9mi on a treadmill (with my friend on a mill next to me), 4.22mi on an elliptical, and another 5mi on a treadmill.  I know that miles on an elliptical don't count as much as on a 'mill....but really I just couldn't stay on a treadmill for 2.5hrs.  I couldn't!  I feel good about getting the miles in, even if I did so in a round-about way.

Yesterday, I absolutely wanted to get outside so I bundled up and took off for a walk around the lake.  I was rewarded with a gorgeous sunset!  Have I mentioned lately how much I love where I live?!  :)

Today, I was going to head to the gym.....buuuuuuut, it was snowing....and I really just wanted to go home and watch Downton Abbey.  But before I rewarded myself with the latest episode I got to work on the Jillian Michaels yoga video again.  (I didn't get too far before my roommate came home...so I paused it and decided to just make dinner instead, haha!)  While watching our favorite Monday night dating show (yes, okay, I watch the Bachelor...don't judge me!), I used my balance ball for an over all arms/legs/core workout.

It's been kinda fun to mix things up once in a while.  I can get so stuck on just running miles and miles that I forget what it feels like to do other kinds of workouts and how good I feel afterward.  I suppose this is me convincing myself to mix things up more often...  :)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good job on everything. I just started my spring semester. During January I was on J-term. January term class. And those are fun classes like harry potter and what not. I did PHAT camp which is a running class. We went to a camp in missouri and we ran each morning for two weeks in 20 degrees trust i did not like that.

While down there we read two books. One was just a fact book. The other was a great book. It was about how Faith and fitness is tied together. Reading this just connected to one chapter how you did not reward your self directly and did some yoga or what not.

Nice job. Keep up the good work.