Wednesday, April 10, 2013

seriously, whoa

I'm guessing you all liked to read about my brother!  Yesterday's post had the most views since we journeyed to the Boston Marathon last spring!  I'm sure he'll appreciate that kind of support on marathon day as well...but we'll get there.

For now, I'd love to tell you about my bootcamp class last night.  It was like, whoa.  Not kidding.  Remember a few days ago when I said that one day burpees may kill me?  Yesterday, I thought that day may have come.  The instructor informed us that it was a fire drill style class, which meant that every time she yelled, "Fire Drill!" we had to stop what we were doing and do burpees then squats.  We started with 5 and each time after that we added 5 (the second time was 10, third was 15...you get the idea).

I think on another day, I may have enjoyed this challenge and welcomed how hard it was.  But it was hot in the room and I had just run 19mi the day before.  I was in no mood for 75 burpees spread out over the course of an hour. 

When combined with the other exercises she had us doing, by the end of the hour I was toast.  I was a sweaty, jelly-limbed mess (especially my arms)!  But as much as I hate that feeling in the moment, afterwards I'm always glad for it.  Like today, I'm glad for the soreness in my arms and I'm glad that I'm not too sore in my legs - I honestly expected to be hurting worse. (I'm not kidding...she was intense yesterday.  Maybe the nice weather brings out the beasts in these instructors?!)  But the fact that I'm not means I'm getting stronger.  Wahoo.  I'm actually thinking of switching gyms so that I can attend one that provides these classes all the time, instead of hoping to find a groupon to purchase.  We'll see what happens.  For now, even though I feel like I'm dying during it, I'm thankful for the motivation to attend these classes and for getting stronger.

Have you ever participated in a bootcamp style class?  What kinds of classes are your favorite?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never done a bootcamp-style class (I assume it involves yelling and I never respond well to yelling). But I used to do a couple classes at my gym and I did find that the group environment would push me to go further with exercises I wouldn't normally do, i.e. anything involving weights. This is counter to my normal feeling about running, which is more like "alone or not at all."