Wednesday, September 4, 2013

bananas, b.a.n.a.n.a.s.

Pure Cardio is one of the DVD workouts in the Insanity program.  Shaun T, the instructor, says repeatedly throughout the warm up that he is nervous about the upcoming intensity of the workout.  When the creator/instructor of the program says he's nervous, you know that what's coming is no joke.

Let me tell you honestly, it is indeed not a joke.  Pure Cardio is 20min of non-stop plyometric exercises that work every muscle in your body.  It is not for the faint of heart.  It leaves me a sweaty, exhausted puddle on the floor. Shaun T says at the very end, "That $#!@ is bananas!" Which is the only reason I get up off the floor - to get my banana, peanut butter, chocolate protein recovery shake.  I love hard workouts, but I also love bananas. Just as much as this little guy:
Now, being a runner and participating in endurance events, I know a thing or two about bananas. They're full of fiber and potassium. They help with recovery from muscle cramps and also help prevent them. Studies show they also help reduce risk of heart disease and stroke. They help protect against ulcers and ulcer damage - I didn't know that! It's like nature's version of TUMS. We all know that eating carrots can help protect your eyes, but did you know that eating bananas will do the same thing? They also help with building stronger bones. Source.

All this to say that not only are bananas sweetly delicious, but they are also a superfood! I have no idea where or when the word bananas came to mean crazy, various websites are divided, but I'd like to believe it's because they are crazy awesome. In short, bananas are bananas, in the very best way!

No comments: